Facts and figures about suicides and suicide attempts in Denmark
- 605 persons committed suicide in Denmark in 2013, 157 females and 448 males
- On average, two Danes commit suicide every day
- Every time one female commits suicide, two males take their own life
- On average, six persons are seriously affected every time one suicide is committed (family and friends)
- The most frequent suicide method among men is hanging and among women poisoning
- Most suicides happen in the spring
- Monday is the day of the week where most suicides happen
- The number of suicides has declined to a third from 1980 to 2010
- On a yearly basis, approx. 30 per cent more Danes die because of suicide than those killed in traffic
- The suicide rate is highest among elderly people.
- Suicide is no longer distinctly connected with urban living
Facts and figures about suicide attempts
- Every day, about 20 persons attempt suicide, and 2 persons die from it
- The time of the day, when most persons attempt suicide, is between 8.00 p.m. and 00.00 a.m.
- The most frequent suicide attempt method is poisoning for both males and females
- The number of suicide attempts is approximately 60 per cent higher than the number of people who attempts suicide. This means that some persons repeat their suicide attempt, sometimes more than once
- The risk for a repeated suicide attempt is at its highest within the first year of the attempt
- A suicide attempt is a serious risk factor for a future suicide
- From 2000 to 2010, the number of people who attempt suicide has been declining for persons more than 15 years of age.
- Among the youngest females aged 15-19 years, there has been a significant increase in the numbers og suicide attempts during 1990-2010. During recent years there has been an increase among females aged 20-29 years.
- In the years between 2000 to 2010, the number of attempted suicides has increased among the youngest males aged 15-19 and 20-29. Among the remaining age-groups the number of attempted suicides has declined
- In 2000, the difference between men and women’s suicide attempts was 10:13; which means that every time 10 men attempted suicide 14 women attempted. In 2010, the difference was 10:20.
This page was last updated at 03/09/2018